Russell Athletic mill to start new year by laying off nearly half its work force | Business
ALEXANDER CITY, AL (WSFA) - Nearly half of the work force at the Russell Athletic #9 Mill in Alex City will soon be searching for a new job. The company announced it will be starting layoffs between now and March 5, 2013.
According to Alexander City Mayor Charles Shaw, the Russell Athletic mill which makes special order t-shirts and athletic clothing will be laying off approximately 190 people between now and March 5. Currently there are 390 people employed at the Alexander City mill.
Russell Brands, LLC is a Fruit of the Loom company. The original "Russell Manufacturing Company" was started in Alexander City by Benjamin Russell in 1902.
Upcoming Events near Alexander City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmore Co. teacher dies following weekend crash
- Court documents: Fmr. Tallassee asst. police chief stole handgun
- Elmore Co. DA forced to drop 100 counts against alleged child predator
- Former Tallassee asst. chief accused of evidence tampering, intimidation
- Grizzell enters 'not guilty' plea in baby death case