Russell Athletic mill to start new year by laying off nearly half its work force | Business
ALEXANDER CITY, AL (WSFA) - Nearly half of the work force at the Russell Athletic #9 Mill in Alex City will soon be searching for a new job. The company announced it will be starting layoffs between now and March 5, 2013.
According to Alexander City Mayor Charles Shaw, the Russell Athletic mill which makes special order t-shirts and athletic clothing will be laying off approximately 190 people between now and March 5. Currently there are 390 people employed at the Alexander City mill.
Russell Brands, LLC is a Fruit of the Loom company. The original "Russell Manufacturing Company" was started in Alexander City by Benjamin Russell in 1902.
Top Alexander City Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Auburn police plan 2 checkpoints on June 26
- Pair caught with stolen property, hit with theft and drug charges
- Briggs and Stratton to Sponsor Annual Fourth of July Celebration
- Auburn City Pools Offer Float-N-Movies and Friday Night Splash Events
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Opelika City Schools
- Nature Made Vitamins Manufacturing Facility opens doors in Opelika
- Mando America announces new expansion in Opelika
- Driver of SUV injured after crashing into Opelika home
- Coroner: 7-year-old Opelika student's cause of death still unknown following autopsy
- National Tae Kwon Do champion from Tallassee
- Authorities kill "nuisance" gator on Rifle Range Road
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallassee City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallapoosa County schools
- 3 suspects in Tallassee child sex abuse case have first court hearing