Nursing home evacuated by boat due to flooding | News
ALEXANDER CITY, AL (WSFA) - Clean-up crews are already at work after employees and residents at the Brown Nursing Home in Alexander City were forced to evacuate the facility by boat this morning due to rising flood waters.
Locals say they contacted the EMA and Fire Rescue squads around 9:30 this morning for help. All 64 residents were taken to safety by boat.
While camera crews are not allowed into the facility due to strict privacy rules, WSFA 12 News Reporter Bethany Wales said the carpets were wet and covered in trash and outside debris.
Though flood waters near the nursing home have receded, just one mile down Washington Street houses and vehicles are still under water.
Rainfall totaled more than 2.75" at the Alex City Airport.
Top Alexander City Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Driver of SUV injured after crashing into Opelika home
- Coroner: 7-year-old Opelika student's cause of death still unknown following autopsy
- Welcome Home, Miss America event on Thursday, May 16
- AK-47, 18 bags of drugs found at East Alabama high school
- New Tennis Cener to Open Tuesday at 9 a.m. in Opelika
- Fmr. Tallassee Asst. Police Chief convicted on 'numerous' felony ethics violations
- New hope seen to resurrect Hotel Talisi
- Montgomery Symphony Orchestra members teach workshop at Tallassee’s Southside Middle School
- Tallassee middle school students 'visited by history'
- Tallassee middle school students brighten day for nursing home residents