Nursing home evacuated by boat due to flooding | News
ALEXANDER CITY, AL (WSFA) - Clean-up crews are already at work after employees and residents at the Brown Nursing Home in Alexander City were forced to evacuate the facility by boat this morning due to rising flood waters.
Locals say they contacted the EMA and Fire Rescue squads around 9:30 this morning for help. All 64 residents were taken to safety by boat.
While camera crews are not allowed into the facility due to strict privacy rules, WSFA 12 News Reporter Bethany Wales said the carpets were wet and covered in trash and outside debris.
Though flood waters near the nursing home have receded, just one mile down Washington Street houses and vehicles are still under water.
Rainfall totaled more than 2.75" at the Alex City Airport.
Upcoming Events near Alexander City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Court documents: Fmr. Tallassee asst. police chief stole handgun
- Elmore Co. DA forced to drop 100 counts against alleged child predator
- Former Tallassee asst. chief accused of evidence tampering, intimidation
- Grizzell enters 'not guilty' plea in baby death case
- 2 Tallassee H.S. band members to march in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade